As specified in the Articles of Incorporation, the name of the organization shall be
WAYNE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.
The purpose of the Wayne County Historical Society, Inc. includes the following:
||Accumulating material relative to the history of Wayne County, Kentucky, to collect books, pamphlets, maps, and artifacts for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a reference
||Preserving and encouraging others to preserve valuable historic buildings and monuments;
||Marking sites involved in community history; and
||Sharing knowledge gained through publications, programs, and involvement in the Kentucky Historical Society program.
Membership is open in the following categories to interested individuals who submit an application and pay the appropriate dues:
- Student membership – any local elementary, middle, or high school student – $5.00
- Active membership – any person interested in the purpose of the Society – $20.00
- Institutional Membership – any organization, school, or library desiring membership – $30.00
- Contributing Membership – persons offering special support to the Society – $30.00
- Sustaining Membership – persons or firm offering special support to the Society – $50.00
- Life Membership – persons (individuals or couples) contributing a sum of $500 or more to the Society.
||Terms of Membership
- One year is the term of members for all members of the Society with the exception of Life Members.
- Membership dues are to be paid annually in July.
- New members may join at any time.
- Members joining in January – June will pay one-half the annual dues for the first year.
- Members joining in July-December will pay full dues for the first year.
- Membership terminates at the end of July for persons whose membership has not been renewed.
||Benefits of Membership
- Quarterly newsletter published by the Historical Society
- Quarterly programs of historical interest provided by the Historical Society
- Opportunity to participate in the election of the Board of Directors of the organization.
- Opportunity to participate in Society projects, to serve on committees, and preserve Wayne County history.
||Officers of the organization shall be elected annually for one year terms by the Board of Directors from its membership. Officers may succeed themselves as long as they are qualified to be Directors.
||Officers of the Wayne County Historical Society, Inc. shall include the following whose responsibilities are outlined:
- Preside at all meetings including meetings of the Board of Directors
- Report on the activities of the organization at its annual meeting.
- Appoint with approval of the Board of directors members and chairs of standing committees identified in the By-Laws of the Society and ad hoc committees as needed. Exception: Officers of the Museum Committee shall be elected by members of the committee from their number.
- Assume the duties of the President in the event of absence, incapacity, or resignation of the President until a new President is provided for by election.
- Serve as Chair of the Program Committee
- Keep the minutes of meetings of the Society and of the Board of Directors
- Maintain a list of members of the organization
- Provide an annual report
- Maintain a copy of all secretarial records in the Historical Society’s official files.
- Oversee safekeeping of the Society’s funds
- Collect annual dues
- Deposit all funds collected by the Society in a bank account maintained in the name of the Society
- Disperse funds as directed by the President and approved by the Board of Directors
- Maintain appropriate financial records
- Have a financial audit semi-annually, if he or she wishes
- Provide an annual audit of the Society each April (subsequent to review of books by the Audit committee)
||Regular meetings of the Society shall be held quarterly on the third Tuesday in January, April, July and October. The April meeting shall be designated the annual meeting of the Society
||Special meetings may be called by the President.
||Active members present at any general meeting of the Society shall constitute a quorum.
||The Board of Directors shall meet on the third Tuesday of each month. Quarterly meetings will be scheduled prior to the Society meeting. Others meetings may be scheduled by the President (or Vice-President if the President is incapacitated) as needed.
||Board of Directors
The Board of Directors, the governing body for the Wayne County Historical Society, has responsibility for and power to conduct the business of the Society. It is governed by the following regulations:
||The Board of Directors will be elected by active members of the organization at the annual meeting in April.
||The Board shall consist of no more than 12 members elected from the active local membership.
||Four members shall be elected each year from resident society members for three-year terms.
||Membership on the Board of Directors shall be terminated for individuals who miss three consecutive regular meetings of the Board without prior notification of the President or Secretary of their anticipated absence with just cause. Vacancies of this nature shall be filled at the next election of Board members.
||Directors may serve two consecutive terms but must rotate off the Board for at least one year before being eligible for re-election.
||Six members of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
||The President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer of the organization shall be elected annually by the members of the Board from its membership.
||The Treasurer is exempt from the rules of tenure for Board membership and may be reappointed an indefinite number of times.
||The Editor of the OVERVIEW, if he/she is not already a member of the board, shall be an ex-officio member of the Board.
||The immediate past President, if he/she is not already a member of the Board, shall be an ex-officio member of the Board for one year.
The Executive Committee shall be composed of the officers of the Society and serve as an Advisory Board for the President.
The President of the Wayne County Historical Society shall appoint both standing and special committees to carry on the work of the organization. With the exception of the Museum and the Program committees, the President shall designate the Chairperson of each committee.
||The Wayne County Historical Society shall have the following standing committees:
- Audit Committee
- The three-member committee shall be selected from active members of the Society.
- It is the responsibility of the Audit Committee to:
- Conduct a review of financial records during the first week of April
- Provide audit reports complying with Robert’s Rules of Order to the Treasurers and Board of Directors by April 15.
- Finance Committee
- The three or more member committee shall be selected from active members of the Society. The Treasurer shall serve as a member of this committee but shall not chair the committee.
- It is the responsibility of the Finance Committee to
- Ensure financial accountability of the Society,
- Oversee an ongoing process of budget development, approval, and review,
- Provide leadership in raising funds and ensuring that adequate funds are available to support the Society’s programs,
- Manage and maintain properties and/or investments of the organization excluding the Museum.
- Historic Sites Committee
- The two-five members of the committee shall be selected from the active membership of the Society. At least one of these members shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
- It is the responsibility of the Historic Sites Committee to identify and explore sites throughout Wayne County of historic significance and interest.
- Library Committee
- The Library Committee shall be composed of 3-6 members of the Society. At least two members should be members of the Board of Directors.
- It is the responsibility of the Library Committee to
- Acquire books, pamphlets, newspapers, correspondence and other written records related to Wayne County’s history,
- Organize, preserve, store, and make items listed in 1) accessible to patrons,
- Establish a fee scale for research and other genealogical services provided by library staff.
- Organize volunteers to staff the library
- Membership Committee
- The Membership Committee shall be composed of three or more members of the Board of Directors, one of whom shall be the Secretary of the organization
- It is the responsibility of the Membership Committee to
- Publicize membership opportunities through the Wayne County Outlook (especially during the month of June) and other appropriate avenues.
- Keep accurate records of members’ names, addresses, and date and manner of dues payment.
- Museum Committee
- The 10 member Museum Committee shall be appointed from active Society members by the President in Consultation with the chair of the committee and with approval of the Board of Directors.
- Members of the committee shall select a chairperson, vice chairperson, secretary and treasurer from their number. Responsibilities of these officers shall be parallel to those of officers of the Board of Directors.
- Appointments to the committee shall be for a five year term with two members rotating off each year.
- Membership shall be terminated for individuals who miss three consecutive meetings of the committee without prior notification to the Chairperson with just cause.
- Vacancies in unexpired terms of committee members shall be filled through appointments made by the President from eligible Society members recommended by the Museum Committee and approved by the Board.
- Responsibilities of the committee include
- Physical and fiscal management of the museum
- Appointment of an active member of the Society as Executive Director of the Museum
- Collecting, cataloging, cleaning, preserving, and storing historical objects for museum exhibits
- Care and up-keep of the Museum including the Three R’s Museum
- Provide an annual report to the Society.
- Nominations Committee
The three-member Nominations Committee shall be responsible for
- Preparing a slate of candidates selected from local active members to fill vacant positions on the Board of Directors prior to the annual meeting each April.
- Informing the Board of directors of the slate to be presented at its April meeting,
- Presenting the slate for election at the annual meeting.
- Present nominees to fill other vacated positions as they occur.
- Program Committee
The three or more member Program Committee shall be responsible for:
- Identifying programs of interest for the four quarterly meetings of the year
- Making necessary arrangements for each quarterly program
- Providing program information to the editor of the Overview one month prior to the meeting.
- Public Relations Committee
- It is the purpose of the Public Relations Committee to develop strategies to improve the historical society’s visibility, increase membership, and enhance the use the Wayne County Historical Society’s Elizabeth Furr Duncan Library and the William Crenshaw Kennedy, Jr. Memorial Museum.
- The Public Relations Committee shall be composed of 3-5 members who shall be selected from the active membership of the Society. At least one of those members shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
- The responsibilities of the Public Relations Committee shall include:
- Providing support to the chairs of the standing and special committees.
- Preparing articles and/or pictures for the local newspaper when needed.
- Preparing press releases and advertisements in all media of upcoming events when needed.
- Reviewing and completing any pending tasks in a timely manner.
- Publications Committee
- Members of the Publication Committee shall include the editor of the OVERVIEW and as many additional members as are needed to carry out the responsibilities outlined.
- Responsibilities of the Publications Committee include:
- Quarterly publication of the OVERVIEW, a newsletter containing historical and genealogical articles and current Historical Society and Museum information.
- Annual publication of a Historical Society calendar. (A special calendar committee shall be appointed and shall be responsible for selecting, organizing and presenting content, securing a publisher, and advertisement and sales of the calendar.)
- Publication of local history articles, pamphlets, books, and other Society Documents.
||Special committees shall be appointed as needed.
Meetings of the Society and the Board of directors shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
||Amendment of the Bylaws
||By-laws can be amended at any regular or called meeting of the Society by a two-thirds vote of active members present. Proposed amendments must be submitted in writing to active members of the Society at the previous meeting or by other means of written notification at least two weeks in advance of voting.
||In order to maintain currency, the By-Laws of the Wayne County Historical Society shall be reviewed every two years by a committee appointed by the President. Recommended changes shall be processed through approved procedures.
||Dissolution (Required by the IRS for all Tax-exempt organizations.)
See ARTICLES OF AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF WAYNE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC. filed August 29, 1989.